Frequently Asked Questions
If your academic program lasts more than 90 days and if you are applying for a long stay student visa, you must complete the Campus France procedure before making a visa appointment.
You may begin the application process as early as possible knowing that you can apply for a student visa within 90 days of the start of your academic program. Once you have submitted the Etudes en France application, the adjudication process takes up to 3 weeks. Please keep in mind visa appointments book up very quickly during the summer and the holiday season.
The official acceptance letter must include the following:
- your full name
- institutional letterhead
- exact start and end dates (day, month, and year) of the academic program you are participating in
- full contact information for the individual issuing the offer or acknowledgment
- signature or stamp
- full address of the institution which will host the program in France
CampusFrance USA (2)
Campus France USA assists students in the United States (U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent & temporary residents: ESTA, B1 and B2 excluded) who wish to pursue academic projects at an institution of higher education in France for a period of time over 90 days. The Campus France online application process is the first – and mandatory– step in applying to study in France.
The Campus France online application is independent from, but a complement to the long-stay student visa application. Although students who will study in France for fewer than 90 days do not have to register with Campus France, it is our mission to assist all prospective students in determining where and what to study, and to help with their planning process.
When you create an Etudes en France account on the Campus France USA website, you are assigned a digit identification number that begins with US. This will remain your number for all future applications. Please have this number on hand when you contact Campus France by phone or email.
Regular service (3 weeks) = $180
Expedited service (3 business days) = $330
Campus France USA accepts online payments and money orders made out to “MCUFEU”. Any alteration to the money order (e.g. Whiteout) will render it unacceptable.
After you have completed the online Etudes en France form, you must:
- pay online and send a copy of the online payment receipt (to pay online click here)
- send a money order (or cashier’s check) for $180, payable to “MCUFEU”; along with a photocopy of the money order. Be sure to include your Campus France ID number (US XX-XXXX) on the money order
Only the following students are exempted from payment:
- Erasmus+, Erasmus-Mundus, Eiffel, Chateaubriand, Benjamin Franklin or Fulbright Scholarships
- returning exchange students participating in a 2nd consecutive semester or year of the same program at the same institution
- students who obtained a baccalauréat du lycée français within the last 4 years
You must provide Campus France with proof of your exemption.
You are assigned to a consulate based on the address you provided on the personal information section. This can be either your home address or school address. You may visit a consulate in either jurisdiction as long as you can provide sufficient proof. For questions about proof of residency, please contact the consulate.
You must book your appointment on the Consulate's website: no earlier than 90 days prior the start of your academic program. Please keep in mind visa appointments book up very quickly during the summer and the holiday season.