Working While Enrolled > USA
As an American student enrolled in a French higher education institution, you are allowed to work part-time — either in an on-campus job, or in the private sector.

International students have the right to work while studying in France as long as they are enrolled in an institution that participates in the national student health-care plan and hold a valid residency permit. The right to work applies to all students, including those who are in France for the first time, those who are enrolled in the first year of a university program, and those who are enrolled full-time in a language school.

The law allows students to work 964 hours in a given year, which corresponds to 60 percent of full-time employment for the year. Remember that you can’t expect to meet all of your expenses by working part-time, so you must have other means of support.

Please note: You are no longer required to obtain temporary employment authorization (APT, Autorisation Provisoire de Travail) in order to work part-time while enrolled.


Working at a university

International students are also eligible for student jobs at universities and other public institutions of higher education. Students are hired to provide services such as assisting incoming students, helping disabled students, providing tutoring, providing IT support and assistance, coordinating and staffing cultural, athletic and social events, working in the career center, and supporting their institution’s promotional efforts.

Student employment contracts are offered for a period up to 12 months long. They run from September 1 through August 31. Students may work up to 670 hours between September 1 and June 30, and up to 300 hours between July 1 and August 31.

Student employees follow a work schedule that will not interfere with their studies. The terms and conditions of employment specified in the contract are adapted to the requirements of each student’s program so as to ensure academic success while also offering work experience.