Financial Assistance for Housing > USA
Just like French students, international students are eligible to apply for government assistance for housing expenses. France is the only nation in Europe to offer this.

Government housing support

The French government  provides substantial financial housing support to students who will be in France for at least three months through the family assistance fund known as “CAF” or Caisse d’allocation familiale (website in French). Support amounts are decided on a case-by-case basis, based on the rental costs and the student’s financial resources; recipients of French government scholarships receive larger stipends. This assistance is neither automatic nor guaranteed.

If you intend to apply for government housing assistance, you must meet the following conditions:

1. You must have moved into your residence and be able to provide the signed lease mentioning your address and your monthly rent.
2. You must be enrolled in the mandatory student health insurance plan.
3. You must have a bank account in France, as housing assistance is deposited directly into beneficiaries’ bank accounts.

If you are sharing a house or apartment with a group of students, all members of the group may apply for assistance, provided their names appear on the rental contract. Each student must apply individually. Married couples only need to submit one application.

Applications for assistance must be completed on the website of the family assistance fund within three months of moving into your residence. Your program or institution may be able to assist you with preparing this application.